Chicken with Slippery Dumplings Recipe
- 1 stewing chicken (about 5 pounds), cut up
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Place chicken, celery and onion in a Dutch oven. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and keep warm. Skim fat from the pan juices; add water to measure 3 qts. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for dumplings; cool. Return remaining broth to the Dutch oven; add carrots and bouillon.
- For dumplings, combine flour, salt if desired and baking powder. Add enough reserved broth to form a stiff dough. Divide dough into thirds; cover and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a simmer. Roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 2-in. squares. Drop one at a time into simmering broth. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately with the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Slippery Dumplings
Sort By :
This made about the best chicken soup I've ever eaten. While I prefer the regular biscuit-like dumplings, these were very good anyway, and even better the next day....and they're so easy to make. I was sick, and looking for a recipe for what some people call "Jewish penicillin'' - this was very soothing and nourishing as well as delicious. It really did make me feel better! I can't wait to make it again! One thing I did do differently was to let the chicken cool, then I stripped the meat from the bones and added it back to the broth and veggies when I put in the dumplings, as I just prefer not having to mess with bones when eating my soup. A great recipe!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken and Dumplings >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Dumplings Side Dish Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >