Chicken with Slippery Dumplings Recipe
This dumplings are cooked in a mild broth and are served with chicken and gravy at church dinners. This old-fashioned dish reminds many of us of simpler days growing up on the farm.Betty Jean Boyd, Wilmington, Delaware
- 1 stewing chicken (about 5 pounds), cut up
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Place chicken, celery and onion in a Dutch oven. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and keep warm. Skim fat from the pan juices; add water to measure 3 qts. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for dumplings; cool. Return remaining broth to the Dutch oven; add carrots and bouillon.
- For dumplings, combine flour, salt if desired and baking powder. Add enough reserved broth to form a stiff dough. Divide dough into thirds; cover and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring broth to a simmer. Roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 2-in. squares. Drop one at a time into simmering broth. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately with the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken with Slippery Dumplings in Taste of Home August/September 1999, p45
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Slippery Dumplings(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken and Dumplings >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Dumplings Side Dish Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >