Chicken with Shallot Sauce Recipe
KATHY’S TIP: You can easily peel the garlic cloves by smashing them slightly with the flat side of a chef’s knife, or buy cloves that are already peeled to save time.
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated and peeled
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; brown in drippings. Remove and keep warm. Add shallots; cook and stir until tender. Stir in water and garlic. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 180°.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices. Mash garlic; add vinegar. Bring liquid to a boil; cook until slightly thickened. Spoon over chicken; sprinkle with reserved bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Shallot Sauce
Sort By :
This was good but I found it was alot more work then I had anticipated so I probably won't make it again. I thought it was a little too vinegary as well.
This was delicious. It did require a bit of prep, slicing the shallots and peeling the garlic and some monitoring, but on the whole, it was easy to make and tasted delicious.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Sauces & Toppings Recipes >