Chicken with Potato Stuffing Recipe
- 6 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2-3/4 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (7 to 7-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until almost tender; drain and set aside. Cook the sausage in boiling water for 10 minutes; drain. Halve each sausage lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-in. pieces.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir potatoes, sausage and onion in butter until sausage is browned and onion is tender. Add 2 teaspoons parsley, salt, rosemary, 3/4 teaspoon thyme and pepper.
- 3. Stuff the chicken with the potato mixture. Place the remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 4. Place chicken in a roasting pan breast side up; brush with oil and sprinkle with remaining parsley and thyme. Add water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in stuffing reads 165° and a thermometer inserted in the thigh reads 180°.
- 5. Bake stuffing in the baking dish for 45 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy if desired. Serve with chicken and stuffing. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 651 calories, 38g fat (11g saturated fat), 183mg cholesterol, 733mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 57g protein
Reviews for Chicken with Potato Stuffing
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.