- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced pears
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1/4 cup flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in 2 tablespoons oil on all sides; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook onion in remaining oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain pears, reserving syrup; set pears aside. In a small bowl, place the remaining flour; add the broth, thyme and reserved pear syrup until blended. Add to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the chicken and squash. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and squash is tender. Add reserved pears; cook until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken with Pears and Squash in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy Annual 2006, p110
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Pears and Squash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review