Friends and family can't get enough of tender chicken thighs in a sweet onion and fig sauce. When prepared this way, the meat turns out moist every time.—Helen Conwell, Fairhope, Alabama
- 3 large red onions, halved and sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 dried figs, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add the figs, honey, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally.
- Place chicken in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Spoon onion mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Serve with pan juices. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken with Onions and Figs in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p161
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Chicken with Onions and Figs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 7, 2012
"I made this using boneless/skinless chicken breasts and orange juice (since I didn't have any lemon juice on hand). It was delicious! This is a keeper. Thanx!"