A visit to Napa Valley wine country inspired me to experiment with one of my mom's scrumptious chicken dishes. This elegant entree is so easy to prepare.—Jill Bonanno, Loma Linda, California
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain and discard drippings. In the same skillet, brown chicken on both sides in 2 tablespoons butter. Remove and keep warm.
- Saute the mushrooms, onions, carrot and garlic in remaining butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, thyme and pepper until smooth. Gradually add broth, wine and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with parsley and bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken with Mushroom Wine Sauce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p52
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Mushroom Wine Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review