Chicken with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/3 cup chicken broth or port wine
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Paprika, optional
- 1. In a skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. With a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms and set aside. Reserve butter in the skillet.
- 2. Combine the flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper coat chicken pieces and shake off excess. Brown mushrooms. Add broth or wine to the remaining flour mixture; stir until smooth. Fold in cream.
- 3. Pour over the chicken and mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Garnish with parsley and paprika if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
2 each: 865 calories, 62g fat (37g saturated fat), 330mg cholesterol, 473mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 59g protein.
Reviews for Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
"This is wonderful....I used fat free half & half instead of heavy cream and cut the butter to 2 T. I think it's wrong to give a bad review just because of the calorie/fat count....it's not fair to the person who has submitted the recipe."
"Wouldn't even consider making it with that many calories per serving. If the heavy whipping cream was replaced with non-fat evaporated milk suspect it would be just as good and a whole lot fewer calories!"