Chicken is my meat of choice. Besides barbecued chicken, this flavorful dish is one of my most tried-and-true recipes.—Philip Stent, Leggett, Texas
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/3 cup chicken broth or port wine
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Paprika, optional
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. With a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms and set aside. Reserve butter in the skillet.
- Combine the flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper coat chicken pieces and shake off excess. Brown mushrooms. Add broth or wine to the remaining flour mixture; stir until smooth. Fold in cream.
- Pour over the chicken and mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Garnish with parsley and paprika if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken with Mushroom Sauce in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p47
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review