Chicken with Homemade Noodles Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon minced chives, optional
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Place the first nine ingredients in a Dutch oven; slowly bring to a boil. Reduce heat; skim foam. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Refrigerate broth and chicken for several hours or overnight.
- 2. For noodles, in a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center. Beat egg substitute and milk; pour into well. Stir together, forming a dough. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll into a very thin rectangle. Dust top of dough with flour. Roll up jelly-roll style. Cut into 1/4-in. strips. Unroll noodles; allow to dry for at least 1 hour.
- 3. Skim fat from the broth. Strain broth and return to pan, discarding vegetables. Discard chicken skin. Bone and cube chicken when cool enough to handle; discard bones and set chicken aside.
- 4. Bring broth to a boil. Add noodles slowly; cook for 2-5 minutes or until tender. Add chicken; heat though. Garnish with chives and parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 393 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 994mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Chicken with Homemade Noodles
"LOVE IT!!!!! Will be doing this one over and over."
"The noodles are wonderful. I used a real egg as I'm not a fan of "artificial" food, but I suppose the taste was the same. They were tender and my whole family loved them."
"This very good homemade noodles it is like my mother made3 and i didn't get her recipe."