Chicken with Florentine Sauce Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sherry or chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the Parmesan cheese, basil and oregano. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons butter for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the same skillet, saute onions in remaining butter for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Gradually add flour and salt; stir in milk and sherry or broth until blended.
- 4. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in spinach and pimientos; heat through.
- 5. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream until blended. Spoon over chicken; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 223 calories, 15g fat (10g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein
Reviews for Chicken with Florentine Sauce
"I made this delicious recipe for the TOH ingredient challenge. I had to use Italian seasonings in place of the dried basil and oregano and used a bit more sherry. I topped the finished dish with 4-cheese blend instead of mozzarella cheese. I also used the whole 4 oz. jar of diced pimientos because I didn't want to waste them. This is a dish that is easily prepared ahead of time and reheated. I will definitely make this again!!! Thank you for submitting this!"
"The only change I made was adding Provolone cheese in place of Mozzarella, It give the recipe a added boost"
"My whole family loved this! This was amazing!"
"Delicious! I did put the chicken under the broiler for just a minute to melt the cheese."
"This was very very good! I definitely will be making this again."
"My husband and I both loved this recipe!!! Have made several times."
"Thank you so much for heeding my message and opening this recipe to everyone!Rosemary"
"This recipe is easy yet the blend of flavors is impressive!"
"Administrator, that was not nice. When you access the site, it says you have to have a TOH subscription. It's a good thing I have a great Chicken Florentine recipe already.Rosemary"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.