- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sherry or chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the Parmesan cheese, basil and oregano. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons butter for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onions in remaining butter for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Gradually add flour and salt; stir in milk and sherry or broth until blended.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in spinach and pimientos; heat through.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream until blended. Spoon over chicken; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken with Florentine Sauce
Sort By :
"I made this delicious recipe for the TOH ingredient challenge. I had to use Italian seasonings in place of the dried basil and oregano and used a bit more sherry. I topped the finished dish with 4-cheese blend instead of mozzarella cheese. I also used the whole 4 oz. jar of diced pimientos because I didn't want to waste them. This is a dish that is easily prepared ahead of time and reheated. I will definitely make this again!!! Thank you for submitting this!"
"The only change I made was adding Provolone cheese in place of Mozzarella, It give the recipe a added boost"
"My whole family loved this! This was amazing!"
"Delicious! I did put the chicken under the broiler for just a minute to melt the cheese."