- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 roasting chicken (7 to 8 pounds)
- In a large skillet, saute fennel and onion in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Place in a large bowl. Stir in the stuffing cubes, broth, thyme, sage, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken with 3 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-qt. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Melt remaining butter; brush over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and thigh reaches at least 170°.
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover chicken and let stand for 10 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Yield: 6 servings (6 cups stuffing).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Fennel Stuffing
Sort By :
This was absolutely delicious
The fennel is a tasty change from celery in the stuffing. My family liked the flavor very much. However, I just rubbed the softened butter over the bird instead of melting it. Very good and easy.