Although most often eaten raw, cucumber can also be enjoyed cooked in recipes like this. This interesting chicken dish has an irresistible fresh flavor.—Angela Avedon, Mooresville, North Carolina
Recommended: 25 Cucumber Recipes to Make This Summer
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Remove chicken and set aside. To drippings, add mushrooms and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Stir in flour until mushrooms are coated. Gradually add water and bouillon; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
- Return chicken to the skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, slice one cucumber into thin slices; set aside. Peel remaining cucumber; slice in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Cut into 1-in. chunks. Add to skillet and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Stir sour cream into sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with reserved cucumber slices. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken with Cucumbers in Taste of Home June/July 1996, p9
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Cucumbers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review