Although most often eaten raw, cucumber can also be enjoyed cooked in recipes like this. This interesting chicken dish has an irresistible fresh flavor.—Angela Avedon, Mooresville, North Carolina
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2 large cucumbers
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Remove chicken and set aside. To drippings, add mushrooms and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Stir in flour until mushrooms are coated. Gradually add water and bouillon; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
- Return chicken to the skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, slice one cucumber into thin slices; set aside. Peel remaining cucumber; slice in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Cut into 1-in. chunks. Add to skillet and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Stir sour cream into sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with reserved cucumber slices. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken with Cucumbers in Taste of Home June/July 1996, p9
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Cucumbers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 14, 2011
"Love chicken. Love Cucumbers. Love this recipe."
Reviewed Mar. 16, 2011
"Enjoyed it!! Easy to make."