Chicken with Creamy Jalapeno Sauce Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Sprinkle chicken with salt. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in oil on both sides.
- Add the onions, broth, jalapenos and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Stir cream cheese and sour cream into onion mixture until blended. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Serve with chicken and rice. Yield: 4 servings (2 cups sauce).
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Creamy Jalapeno Sauce(6)
Sort By :
Pretty good. Sauce turned out a bit runny.. While we liked it ok, I am not sure I feel positively enough about it to make it again.
This recipe has great flavor. We would add another jalapeno or different type of pepper to jack the heat up next time. I ran out of sour cream, so I just added a touch of milk to smooth out the sauce and it was delicious!
Fantastic creamy, colorful sauce, super easy and fast to make.
My family can't take a lot of heat (spicy heat) so I used fired roasted poblano pepper in stead of jalapeños. The pepper added good chili taste as well as a little smoky flavor to the dish and it was fantastic.
I've made this recipe a couple times now and appreciate how easy it is to prepare. I double the chicken broth and add extra cream cheese. I usually use fresh roma tomatoes as directed, but one time I didn't have them on hand and used petite diced tomatoes from a can instead, and it was just as good. I usually serve with a baked potato instead of rice. Very yummy! Update - by using 1 cup broth & 4 oz cream cheese, there is plenty of sauce for 6 medium size chicken breast halves. I return the chicken to the pan at the end to heat through.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Mexican Chicken Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >