Chicken with Creamy Apple-Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 reduced-fat evaporated milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender. Stir in the broth, tarragon, pepper and salt; bring to a boil.
- 2. Add apples and reserved chicken. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken to a serving platter.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; stir in remaining milk. Add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken; sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 1 cup sauce equals 283 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 440 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.