When cranberries are in season, I like to stock the freezer so I can serve this dish year-round. The sauce's tangy flavor complements the chicken very well.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Dash ground nutmeg
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge the chicken. In a large skillet, cook chicken in butter until browned on both sides. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same skillet, combine the cranberries, water, brown sugar, vinegar and nutmeg; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place chicken on top; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. To serve, spoon cranberry mixture over chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Chicken in Country Extra January 1997, p51
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Chicken with Cranberries
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review