MY MOTHER, grandson and I put out heads and hearts together and after several tries, we came up with our version of oven fried chicken. We tweaked the ingredients until the gravy was tasty and the chicken was nicely browned and tender.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Dash each seasoned salt, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon pepper
- Place butter and oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Place in a 425° oven for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine flour and seasonings; add chicken, one piece at a time, and turn to coat.
- Carefully place chicken, skin side down, in hot skillet. Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°-175°. Remove and keep warm.
- Transfer 1 tablespoon of drippings from the skillet to a small saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chicken with Country Gravy in Reminisce Extra January 2008, p52
Reviews for Chicken with Country Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 17, 2014
"Quick and easy recipe, full of flavor. There was not quite enough drippings for the gravy; however, butter was an easy substitution."
Reviewed Jul. 18, 2012
"I made this recipe for 4 servings and my family wanted more :)Going to make this recipe again without a doubt."
Reviewed Mar. 18, 2009
"THIS IS A VERY EASY AND TASTY RECIPE!!!!!"