Chicken with Cherry Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1. Set aside 3/4 cup cherries. In a blender, combine orange juice and remaining cherries; cover and process until smooth. Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, lemon juice, garlic and ginger; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken on all sides in butter. Place chicken skin side down in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with cherry sauce.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes; turn chicken. Top with reserved cherries. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 453 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 1364mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Reviews for Chicken with Cherry Sauce
"I did a variation with canned cherry pie filling and added seasoned salt to brown a pork roast with. Cooked the pie filling with 1/4 C soy sauce, 1T Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 C brown sugar, 3 T lime juice, 1 garlic clove, 1 tsp ginger, 1 large sweet onion and 2 T brown gravy mix. Slow-cooked for 6 hours."
"I made this to go over ham steak slices. I combined all of the ingredients in a saucepan on the stove & cooked it on simmer until the cherries were soft. It was excellent! Will definitely make it again."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.