Chicken with Cheese Sauce
Dinner guests are always impressed when I serve this appetizing main dish. It's a delicious and pretty way to dress up plain chicken breasts.Joyce Breeding, Falkville, Alabama
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + marinating Bake: 35 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers), divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 envelope white sauce mix
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- Flatten chicken to 1/8-in. thickness. Place in a resealable plastic
- bag; add 1/4 cup salad dressing. Seal bag and turn to coat;
- refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in remaining salad dressing. Add 1/2
- cup cracker crumbs, spinach and parsley. Cook for 5 minutes or until
- heated through. Remove from the heat.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Spoon about 1/2 cup spinach
- mixture on each chicken breast; roll up and overlap ends. Secure
- with a toothpick. Roll in remaining crumbs.
- Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at
- 375° for 35 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the white sauce mix