- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers), divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 envelope white sauce mix
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Ground nutmeg, optional
- Flatten chicken to 1/8-in. thickness. Place in a resealable plastic bag; add 1/4 cup salad dressing. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in remaining salad dressing. Add 1/2 cup cracker crumbs, spinach and parsley. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Remove from the heat.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Spoon about 1/2 cup spinach mixture on each chicken breast; roll up and overlap ends. Secure with a toothpick. Roll in remaining crumbs.
- Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the white sauce mix until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Serve with chicken. Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forChicken with Cheese Sauce
"Made this dish as the recipe calls for couldn't find the white sauce from 2 stores, so I used chicken gravy. tasted great but you must like spinach. Next time I make it I will use seasoned bread crumbs instead of plain saltines to see if I can kick up to flavors a little. my husband and I really enjoyed this. I will make it again."