Chicken with Celery Root Puree Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large celery root, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups chopped peeled butternut squash
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides. Remove chicken from pan.
- 2. In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add celery root, squash and onion; cook and stir until squash is crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Return chicken to pan; add apple juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°.
- 4. Remove chicken; keep warm. Cool vegetable mixture slightly. Process in a food processor until smooth. Return to pan and heat through. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 2/3 cup puree equals 328 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 348 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.