Chicken with Cashews Recipe
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup whole salted cashews
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, stir-fry the celery, carrots and onion until crisp-tender.
- 3. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and cashews; heat through. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 527 calories, 31 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 1,590 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.