Chicken with Caramelized Pears
Tender chicken gets an upscale treatment in this simple entree with sweetened pears. Remember this idea—it also works with pork loin chops and thinly sliced apples. —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium pears, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown
- chicken in butter; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute
- onion until tender. Add pears and brown sugar; cook 3 minutes
- longer. Stir in vinaigrette and thyme.
- Return chicken to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 4-6 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Serve with
- chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 chicken breast half with 1/3 cup pear mixture and 1 cup rice equals 567 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 1,330 mg sodium,