Chicken with Black Bean Salsa Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1. For salsa, in a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; refrigerate until serving. Combine the brown sugar, pepper sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper; rub over both sides of chicken.
- 2. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Serve with salsa. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup salsa equals 269 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 710 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Reviews for Chicken with Black Bean Salsa
"I loved this recipe!! Just enough spice for me (I'm not too big on spicy)Makes alot of salsa (still had leftovers after two pounds of chicken tenders)I also added green peppers to the salsa."
"My husband and I made this dish last night and ate it with a side of locally grown corn. It was super good, colorful and pretty, and really filling considering we ate nothing but a chicken breast and veggies. The recipe is very fresh and healthy tasting. It will be a regular in my house."
"This recipe provides a good starting point to a great chicken dish. To the salsa portion of this recipe I add 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. chili powder and 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro. To the basic rub recipe I added 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. chili pepper, 1 tsp. oregano. I omit the salt. I have made this dish several time with these changes and the family loves it every time."
"This was good, but expected it to be spicier."
"Just finished eating this for dinner w/my husband & it was delicious as is. We had some couscous as an accompaniment."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.