- 6 chicken leg quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large sweet apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chardonnay
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh oregano, rosemary and thyme
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place half of the chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the apples, onion and celery; spoon half of the mixture over chicken. Repeat layers.
- In the same bowl, whisk wine, gravy mix, garlic and herbs until blended; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Cool apple mixture slightly; skim fat. In a blender, cover and process apple mixture in batches until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Serve with chicken and mashed potatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Apple-Chardonnay Gravy
"This was the most bland chicken I have ever eaten. I had to throw mine out and make something else. Will not be making this ever again."
"chicken fell off the bone. I thin I would do breasts instead next time. Also, the gravy needs a thickener. Came out too runny. Overall tasted good though."
"I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong, but I thought this was just ok. It tasted too much like onion and not enough like apple OR chardonnay. If I try it again, I'll try a different sweet apple, and put a lot less onion in."
"Good recipe, my family enjoyed it!"