Chicken with Apple-Chardonnay Gravy Recipe
I create all my own recipes by experimenting with various ingredients in the kitchen. I love this savory slow cooker chicken dish because it's easy, affordable and fills the house with awesome aromas that make your mouth water.—Theresa Retelle, Appleton, Wisconsin
- 6 chicken leg quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large sweet apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chardonnay
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh oregano, rosemary and thyme
- Hot mashed potatoes
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place half of the chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the apples, onion and celery; spoon half of the mixture over chicken. Repeat layers.
- In the same bowl, whisk wine, gravy mix, garlic and herbs until blended; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Cool apple mixture slightly; skim fat. In a blender, cover and process apple mixture in batches until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Serve with chicken and mashed potatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken With Apple-Chardonnay Gravy in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p40
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken with Apple-Chardonnay Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 20, 2014
"Good recipe, my family enjoyed it!"