Chicken Wings with Spicy Apricot Sauce Recipe
Everyone gobbles these up at Christmas potlucks! My mother gave me the recipe for this anytime appetizer with its flavorful sweet-and-sour sauce.
- 3 dozen whole chicken wings
- 1-1/2 cups cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup (3 ounces) dried apricots
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. Cut chicken wings into three sections; discard wing tip section. In a shallow bowl or large resealable plastic bag, combine cornstarch, baking powder, salt, pepper and sugar. Dip chicken pieces in eggs, then coat generously with cornstarch mixture.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 350°. Fry chicken wings, a few at a time, for about 9 minutes or until juices run clear. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine apricots and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until apricots are tender.
- 4. Transfer to a blender or food processor. Add the sugar, vinegar, honey and cayenne; process on high until smooth. Cool slightly. Serve with chicken wings. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Chicken Wings with Spicy Apricot Sauce
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC