Chicken Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In Dutch oven, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in soup and wine. Add rice and chicken; heat through. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Sort By :
"So good! Added course ground pepper, extra veggies and extra rice. Used white wine at the end (instead of the extra chicken broth option), which added extra flavor. I served it with garlic butter biscuits, which were used to sop up any extra broth (YUM!)."
"Way too much liquid. I eliminated the last 1/2 cup of liquid and it was still too thin. Thickened it up a bit with additional flour & water slurry. Prepare all vegies and ingredients ahead of time. Prep goes fairly fast once it starts."
"It was okay, but way too thin of a soup for my liking. I eliminated the additional 1/2 c. of liquid called for near the end and added another can of cream of mushroom soup and a 1/2 c. of minute rice to thicken it up."
"My family enjoyed it!"
"looks like a very healthy dish for what ails you!"