Chicken Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In Dutch oven, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in soup and wine. Add rice and chicken; heat through. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Sort By :
"I really like this soup & it is so easy to make !! It is really great on a cold winter day or night !!"
"I began making this after I saw it a few years ago and really like it. Because of illness in the family, I had to do a few substitutions to get so much sodium out of it but there are easy ways to do that now...no-salt added broths, no-salt added cr. of mushroom soup, etc. What I like best about this soup is something a few people know me for...I don't like to waste food. I always put leftover rice in the freezer and when I have enough, I make this soup. The same with leftover chicken. Of late I've been adding a cup or two of chopped broccoli. Good."
"Really good flavor! Don't skip the wine if you can help it. It really adds. Was cautious with the broth as others said it was a little too much. I made the soup with one quart broth and at the end when I stirred in the wine and canned soup I added one more cup broth. Think that is just the right consistency. Pretty quick to throw together as well. Will make again."
"So good! Added course ground pepper, extra veggies and extra rice. Used white wine at the end (instead of the extra chicken broth option), which added extra flavor. I served it with garlic butter biscuits, which were used to sop up any extra broth (YUM!)."
"Way too much liquid. I eliminated the last 1/2 cup of liquid and it was still too thin. Thickened it up a bit with additional flour & water slurry. Prepare all vegies and ingredients ahead of time. Prep goes fairly fast once it starts."