Chicken Wild Rice Soup with Mushrooms Recipe
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/4 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1. Prepare rice mix according to package directions, omitting butter. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the chicken, mushrooms and onions in oil until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add the prepared rice, broth, tarragon, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and evaporated milk until smooth; stir into rice mixture. Return to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Garnish with green onions. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium broth and fat-free evaporated milk) equals 120 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 427 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.