This recipe is a great example of Midwest food! Its ingredients, including the wild rice, can all be found in Minnesota. The dish is good for larger groups since the cook doesn't need to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
Recommended: 30-Minute Casserole Recipes
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 jar (2 ounces) chopped pimiento, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- Wash rice; place in a saucepan with water and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and simmer 45-50 minutes or until tender. Drain if necessary.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms, onion and parsley in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, rice, chicken, pimientos, broth and cream. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with cheese and almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Chicken/Wild Rice Hot Dish in Country Extra September 1992, p51
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken/Wild Rice Hot Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review