- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2-2/3 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots, onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, rice, cream and pepper; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Chicken Wild Rice Chowder
"Excellent recipe I use everytime I make a turkey. I make home made turkey broth using the carcas and leftover turkey meat in this recipe. I also, per others suggestions, add potatoes, use a whole onion, uncle ben's wild grain ready rice, and double the recipe. IT IS EXCELLENT and always a hit in my family, after cooking I put the left overs in a casserole dish and bake to reheat, even better the next day!!"
"The whole family loved it. Excellent flavor. Definitley will make it again."
"This is my husband's favorite soup recipe. I lighten things up by using Fat Free Half and Half. I also add 2-3 cloves of garlic to the veggies when I saute them. I also like to add potatoes to make it more hardy. I almost ALWAYS double this recipe."
"Very good. I used some cooked white rice (1 cup) instead of the wild rice and it was yummy. Will definitely make it again!"
"This is the BEST chicken and rice soup recipe I've ever made. My family LOVED it! It kept us warm during a snow storm-thanks for sharing!"
"needs more flavoring."
"I liked it. I thought it would be bland, with only pepper being added. But the rice and chicken broth had a nice, mellow flavor to it.I also used fat-free half and half."
"LOVE this soup. It is on my "favorites" list. I've also used the base of this soup for pot pies, chicken ala king and other casseroles with just some small adjustments here and there. It is delicious!!"
"This is a meal within its self - delicious ."