Chicken Wellington Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (15 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/4 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 1. Flatten chicken to an even thickness. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil and 1 tablespoon butter for 4-5 minutes on each side or until browned.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the rosemary, sage, salt, pepper and remaining butter. Unroll pastry sheets; cut each into a 9-in. square (discard scraps). Place a chicken breast half on each square; spread chicken with butter mixture. Fold pastry over chicken. Trim off excess pastry; pinch seams to seal.
- 3. Place on a greased baking sheet; brush with egg. Bake at 450° for 18-20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 4. Meanwhile, for sauce, dissolve bouillon in hot water. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in bouillon and wine or broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 697 calories, 45 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 127 mg cholesterol, 956 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 15 g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Wellington
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.