Chicken Veggie Strudel Recipe
I serve this hearty entree often at dinner parties and usually keep a few extra strudels in the freezer in case company unexpectedly shows up.
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 3 cups finely chopped carrots
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, tarragon and thyme
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 cups butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 24 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1 package (15 ounces) seasoned bread crumbs
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the garlic, parsley, basil, tarragon, thyme and pepper. Add to chicken mixture; toss to coat.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken mixture; toss to coat.
- 3. Melt remaining butter. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to avoid drying out). Brush with butter; sprinkle with bread crumbs. Repeat layers five times.
- 4. Spread about 3-1/3 cups of filling down the center of dough to within 1 in of edges. Fold short sides 1 in. over filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Brush with butter. Place seam side down in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- 5. Make three more strudels with remaining phyllo, butter and filling. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 strudels (6 servings each).
1 slice: 344 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 563mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Veggie Strudel
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC