Chicken Veggie Soup Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-3/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and peppers in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken and barley are tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 7 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 212 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 1,236 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Veggie Soup
"I skipped sauteing the veges for time, but I think I will do it next time."
"I also used a rotisserie chicken. I think the next time I will add more barley. I also added in a zucchini."
"This soup was very easy to make and delicious! Perfect for a cool weather meal.Very hearty and the flavors get better with time. This recipe is a keeper. Easy to tweek and make it your own."
"Delicious soup. Instead of using the chicken breasts, I bought an already cooked rotisserie chicken from the Deli and shredded it. Turned out great."
"Very good. I sauted veggies, but would skip this step next time around. Also added a couple stalks of celery and a bay leaf for flavor."
"This is an easy, hearty soup that my family really enjoyed! I substituted a sliced zucchini for the mushrooms (b/c my son doesn't care for mushrooms) and, since I didn't have time that morning to saute the onions, peppers & garlic, I just put them in the slow cooker along with all of the other ingredients. It turned out beautifully - thick and very flavorful! I will definitely be adding this recipe to my collection."