Chicken Veggie Soup Recipe
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-3/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and peppers in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken and barley are tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 7 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cup: 212 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 1236mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Veggie Soup
"I skipped sauteing the veges for time, but I think I will do it next time."
"I also used a rotisserie chicken. I think the next time I will add more barley. I also added in a zucchini."
"This soup was very easy to make and delicious! Perfect for a cool weather meal.Very hearty and the flavors get better with time. This recipe is a keeper. Easy to tweek and make it your own."
"Very good. I sauted veggies, but would skip this step next time around. Also added a couple stalks of celery and a bay leaf for flavor."
"This is an easy, hearty soup that my family really enjoyed! I substituted a sliced zucchini for the mushrooms (b/c my son doesn't care for mushrooms) and, since I didn't have time that morning to saute the onions, peppers & garlic, I just put them in the slow cooker along with all of the other ingredients. It turned out beautifully - thick and very flavorful! I will definitely be adding this recipe to my collection."