- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-3/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and peppers in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken and barley are tender. Yield: 7 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Chicken Veggie Soup
Sort By :
"I skipped sauteing the veges for time, but I think I will do it next time."
"I also used a rotisserie chicken. I think the next time I will add more barley. I also added in a zucchini."
"This soup was very easy to make and delicious! Perfect for a cool weather meal.Very hearty and the flavors get better with time. This recipe is a keeper. Easy to tweek and make it your own."
"Delicious soup. Instead of using the chicken breasts, I bought an already cooked rotisserie chicken from the Deli and shredded it. Turned out great."
"Delicious, hearty soup with a rich,tasty broth.I omitted the mushrooms because my husband and son don't like them. I added zucchini, like another reviwer. I was out of red bell pepper but I'll put it in next time. I added a couple stalks of celery, a bay leaf , fresh minced parsley and a little sugar to balance out the tomatoes. My son had a cold and this soup hit the spot! I am going to use the leftovers for dinner tomorrow night, but I already want more, the broth is so good. I served the soup with Garlic-Cheddar Drop Biscuits and tomorrow I will make grilled cheese. This was the first chilly day of fall here and this was the perfect recipe for it! I will make this again for sure, thanks!"