This satisfying veggie soup hits the spot at lunch or dinner. Add a side salad and some whole grain bread for a filling and nutritious meal. —Amy Cheatham, Sandusky, Ohio
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-3/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and peppers in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken and barley are tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 7 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Vegetable Chicken Soup in Simple & Delicious August/September 2010, p18
Reviews for Chicken Veggie Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review