I invented this chicken and veggie dish to use up extra mushrooms and asparagus. My husband suggested I write it down because it's a keeper. —Rebekah Beyer, Sabetha, Kansas
Featured In: 29 Healthy Winter Skillet Meals
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sherry or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan. Repeat with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining chicken.
- In same pan, heat 2 teaspoons oil. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add to chicken.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add asparagus; cook 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add to chicken and mushrooms.
- Add sherry to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1-2 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Return chicken and vegetables to pan; heat through. Remove from heat; stir in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Veggie Skillet in Simple & Delicious April/May 2015
Reviews for Chicken Veggie Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 3, 2015
Reviewed Mar. 29, 2015
Reviewed Mar. 25, 2015
"Didn't think this had much flavor. Maybe it was because I also used a non-stick pan. Maybe next time I would add some fresh thyme with the mushrooms and finish the dish with some fresh parsley."
Reviewed Mar. 18, 2015