The fresh lime and cilantro in this zesty treat remind me of warmer climates—a nice bonus on chilly days here in northern Michigan. I lightened up the original recipe by baking the tortilla strips rather than frying them. —Marianne Morgan, Traverse City, Michigan
- 3 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine tortilla strips, 1 teaspoon oil and salt. Seal bag and shake to coat. Arrange tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp, stirring once. Remove to paper towels to cool.
- In a large saucepan, saute chicken in remaining oil until no longer pink and lightly browned. Add onion; cook and stir until onion is tender. Add broth and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the corn, chilies, cilantro and pepper. Cook until heated through. Stir in lime juice. Garnish with tortilla strips. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Tortilla Soup in Light & Tasty June/July 2004, p57
Reviews for Chicken Tortilla Soup with Lime
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review