Chicken Tomato Soup Recipe
While creating this crowd-pleasing soup, I was trying to keep in mind a variety of textures, colors and flavors. Its sweet tomato base brims with chicken, broccoli, corn and a couple kinds of beans. It's especially tasty if you garnish it with shredded cheddar and crumbled bacon. -Connie Johnson, Springfield, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the water, broccoli, onion and garlic. Bring to a boil; boil for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, cook chicken until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with seasoned salt and pepper. Add to broccoli mixture. stir in the tomato juice, beans, corn, ketchup and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with bacon and cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 139 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 741 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC