Chicken Tempura Rolls Recipe
These are delicious and are simpler to make than you think. An inexpensive bamboo mat and sticky rice are the keys to making these rolls. Your guest will really be impressed when you serve this scrumptious treat.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen,
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound frozen breaded chicken tenders
- 2/3 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Bamboo sushi mat
- 1-1/2 cups sliced almonds, chopped and toasted
- 3 green onions (green portion only)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 large navel orange, peeled, sectioned and cut into thin strips
- 1. In large bowl, wash rice in several changes of cold water until water is clear. Transfer to a large saucepan; add 2 cups water. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- 2. Cover saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cook for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- 4. Transfer rice to a shallow bowl; sprinkle with 1/3 cup vinegar mixture. Set aside remaining vinegar mixture for assembly. With a wooden paddle or spoon, stir rice with a slicing motion until cooled. Cover with a damp cloth to keep moist. (Rice mixture may be made up to 6 hours ahead and stored at room temperature, covered, with a damp towel. Do not refrigerate.)
- 5. Bake chicken according to package directions; cool. Cut into long thin strips. In a large bowl, combine the juice concentrate, soy sauce, ginger, pepper flakes and oil; set aside 1/2 cup for serving. Add chicken to remaining orange mixture; toss to coat.
- 6. Cover the sushi mat with plastic wrap. Spread 1/4 cup almonds in an even layer over plastic wrap to a 9-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Moisten hands with reserved vinegar mixture; press rice in a thin even layer over almonds.
- 7. Arrange a small amount of chicken mixture, green onion, red pepper and orange strips about 1-1/2 in. from bottom edge of rectangle. Holding the bamboo mat, roll the rectangle away from you, being careful to enclose the filling with rice. Use the mat to help you squeeze the roll into a compact log. Remove mat; set tempura roll aside. Repeat, creating six tempura rolls.
- 8. Cut each into 1-1/2 in. slices. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 piece: 100 calories, 3g fat (0g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Chicken Tempura Rolls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC