- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt,
- stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer rice to a shallow bowl; sprinkle with 1/3 cup vinegar
- mixture. Set aside remaining vinegar mixture for assembly. With a
- wooden paddle or spoon, stir rice with a slicing motion until
- cooled. Cover with a damp cloth to keep moist. (Rice mixture may be
- made up to 6 hours ahead and stored at room temperature, covered,
- with a damp towel. Do not refrigerate.)
- Bake chicken according to package directions; cool. Cut into long
- thin strips. In a large bowl, combine the juice concentrate, soy
- sauce, ginger, pepper flakes and oil; set aside 1/2 cup for serving.
- Add chicken to remaining orange mixture; toss to coat.
- Cover the sushi mat with plastic wrap. Spread 1/4 cup almonds in an
- even layer over plastic wrap to a 9-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Moisten
- hands with reserved vinegar mixture; press rice in a thin even layer
- over almonds.
- Arrange a small amount of chicken mixture, green onion, red pepper
- and orange strips about 1-1/2 in. from bottom edge of rectangle.
- Holding the bamboo mat, roll the rectangle away from you, being
- careful to enclose the filling with rice. Use the mat to help you
- squeeze the roll into a compact log. Remove mat; set tempura roll
- aside. Repeat, creating six tempura rolls.
- Cut each into 1-1/2 in. slices. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 3
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece with 1/2 teaspoon sauce equals 100 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.