- aside until cool enough to handle. Strain broth; skim fat. Finely
- chop or shred chicken.
- For dough, in a large bowl, beat the shortening until light and
- fluffy, about 1 minute. Add small amounts of masa harina alternately
- with 2 cups reserved broth, beating until well blended.
- Drop a small amount of dough into a cup of cold water; dough should
- float to the top. If dough does not float, continue beating until
- dough is light enough to float.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; stir in flour until
- blended. Cook and stir for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in the spices, chicken and 4 cups reserved broth. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until
- filling is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Drain corn husks and pat dry. Place a corn husk on a work surface
- with the small end pointing away from you. On large end, spread 3
- tablespoons dough to within 1 in. of edges. Top with 2 tablespoons
- chicken mixture and 2 teaspoons olives. Fold long sides of husk over
- filling, overlapping slightly. Fold over ends of husk; tie with
- string to secure. Repeat.
- In a large steamer basket, position tamales upright. Place basket in
- a Dutch oven over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam
- for 45-50 minutes or until dough peels away from husk, adding
- additional hot water to pan as needed. Yield: 20 tamales.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tamales equals 564 calories, 35 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 835 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.