- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-3/4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Chopped green onions, tomatoes and avocado, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- In a large skillet, combine chicken, enchilada sauce, cumin and onion powder; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Spread over corn bread layer; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 10-12 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, top with green onions, tomatoes and avocado. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chicken Tamale Bake
"Interesting take on tamales and easy enough to though together. We added sour cream, chopped green onions and shredded cheese on the side. It was tasty, but wasn't a giant hit."
"Very easy to make, and quite tasty! I left out some of the spice to fit my family's preferences, but you could easily make this medium or hot, depending on the enchilada sauce used. I'll make this one again!"
"The chicken Tamale Bake was a big hit with my crew!"