Chicken Taco Rice
This flavorful dish is so easy to vary. It was given to me by a friend, and whenever I prepare it, I think of the amazing friendships that have helped to shape my life. —Heather Ray, Milwaukee
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- Optional Toppings: reduced-fat sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the chicken, pepper and onion in oil until
- chicken is no longer pink. Add the broth, tomato sauce and taco
- seasoning. Bring to a boil. Stir in rice and corn.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is
- absorbed. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with
- toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups (calculated without optional toppings) equals 485 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 1,535 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 31 g protein.