Chicken Supreme with Gravy Recipe
A group of friends and I have met often throughout the years to swap our favorite recipes. This tried-and-true dish has always been well received.—Bernice Hartje, Cavalier, North Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour Bake: 1 hour 20 min. YIELD:70-80 servings
- 1-1/2 bunches celery, diced (about 6 cups)
- 6 medium onions, diced (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups butter, cubed
- 3 loaves day-old white bread (1-1/2 pounds each), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 12 eggs
- 9 cups 2% milk
- 24 cups diced cooked chicken (about 6 chickens)
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 8 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup, undiluted
- 9 to 10 cups water
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In several Dutch ovens, saute celery and onions in butter.
- 2. Meanwhile, in several large bowls, combine bread, salt, sage, baking powder and pepper; toss to coat. Stir in celery mixture. Beat eggs and milk; add to bread mixture.
- 3. Divide half the chicken among four 13x9-in. greased baking dishes. Cover with half the bread mixture. Repeat layers. Pour broth into each dish.
- 4. Cover and bake 70 minutes or until hot and bubbly; uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer.
- 5. For gravy, in a stockpot, combine soup and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Serve with chicken. Yield: 70-80 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 182 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 496 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC