Candy Gruman of Tucson, Arizona blends a savory sauce for this delightful chicken dish. The brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and ginger get added zip from chili sauce an cayenne pepper. Served over rice, this stir-fry makes a memorable meal.
Recommended: 38 Greek-Style Dinners
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2/3 cup each julienned green, sweet red and yellow pepper
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, carrots and onion in 3 tablespoons oil for 2 minutes. Add peppers; cook for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Add chicken, mushrooms and remaining oil; stir-fry for 4 minutes. Stir in water chestnuts; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until heated through. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels.
- Drain skillet; add the broth, soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and cayenne. Combine cornstarch and wine or broth until smooth; stir into broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; return vegetables and chicken to pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Stir-Fry with a Twist in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p12
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Stir-Fry with a Twist
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review