Chicken Stew with Gnocchi Recipe
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1. Place the parsnips, carrots, celery, sweet potato and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken; sprinkle with the sage, salt and pepper. Add broth and water. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to the slow cooker.
- 3. Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Add gnocchi. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Season with hot pepper sauce if desired. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without hot pepper sauce) equals 405 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 922 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Stew with Gnocchi
"Will for sure add this to my recipe book! I did make it in a dutch oven (which cooks faster..my mother told me this, and believe me it does). Also I used yams instead of sweet pots and they get soft quicker so you have to be careful. Also I did not have any parsnips but used extra yams since I love them. The soup is delicious!!!!"
"hot, hearty and healthy. ate this while watching "the big game". didn't miss the chili!! also a great palette to different variations."
"I'm going to try to adapt this to my new pressure cooker - I don't like to leave appliances untended."
"delicious and healthy, my family ate this up and asked for more!"
"Wonderful recipe! I am making it a again for a second time and can't wait!"
"As with most recipes I try on this site I had to modify to accomodate for ingredients I did have vs. what I didn't have. Cut up regular potatoes in place of the gnocci...used baby carrots and pearl onions, no celery. Very simple, easy meal that the entire family enjoyed."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.