Chicken Stew with Gnocchi Recipe
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1. Place the parsnips, carrots, celery, sweet potato and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken; sprinkle with the sage, salt and pepper. Add broth and water. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to the slow cooker.
- 3. Mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Add gnocchi. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Season with hot pepper sauce if desired. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cup: 405 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 29g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Stew with Gnocchi
"Will for sure add this to my recipe book! I did make it in a dutch oven (which cooks faster..my mother told me this, and believe me it does). Also I used yams instead of sweet pots and they get soft quicker so you have to be careful. Also I did not have any parsnips but used extra yams since I love them. The soup is delicious!!!!"
"I'm going to try to adapt this to my new pressure cooker - I don't like to leave appliances untended."
"delicious and healthy, my family ate this up and asked for more!"
"Wonderful recipe! I am making it a again for a second time and can't wait!"
"As with most recipes I try on this site I had to modify to accomodate for ingredients I did have vs. what I didn't have. Cut up regular potatoes in place of the gnocci...used baby carrots and pearl onions, no celery. Very simple, easy meal that the entire family enjoyed."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.