Chicken Stew with Dumplings Recipe
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 pound new potatoes, quartered
- 3 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place chicken and water in a 5-qt. Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Skim fat. Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. Debone chicken and cut into chunks; return to broth. Add next nine ingredients. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and parsley. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls into simmering stew. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the dumplings are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 340 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 706 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Stew with Dumplings
"This was delicious and easy! I live in high altitude and didn't even have to make adjustments."
"This is by far the best chicken & dumpling recipe I have ever had! After skimming the fat from the top of the broth, I added 1 cup water and 1 chicken boullion cube to make a bit more broth. That is the only change. This is YUMMY!!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.