- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (6 ounces) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients; cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Mix water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into stew. Cook, covered, 30 minutes more or until the vegetables are tender. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Stew
Sort By :
"Great base recipe, though it needs some work, so I did make some changes. First it's always best not to use lean meats in a crock pot, so I used boneless chicken thighs instead. Secondly, it's very important to sear your meat before adding to crock pot. This not only seals in the juices making it more tender and moist, but it also prevents all those chicken juices from oozing out into the stew making it less watered down and bland. For those of you that commented on the recipe being too bland this was probably the problem. Not your fault though as the recipe did not specify. So I seared my boneless thighs in a bit of oil on both sides before adding to crock pot. When I opened the lid and stirred,I found my chicken thighs melted apart beautifully; didn't even have to cut them up. Thirdly, I love rice in my stew, so I added about a cup of uncooked brown rice at the beginning. Because of the rice I had no need for extra water or cornstarch. The consistency was perfect. Finally, In addition to spices above, I also added minced garlic, basil, parsley, curry powder, and seasoned salt. The curry powder gave it a little kick. Will make again. :)"
"Made this for Christmas dinner. I used yams instead of potatoes. And fresh rosemary. It was good but a little bland. I added curry powder and it was SO delicious!"
"so boring, there are better things to make with these ingredients"
"<p>Easy, tasty, & family love it.</p> Used organic chicken stock from a carton instead of canned stock. Chose to leave out celery and didn't miss it. Have used mini potatoes and baby carrots to make it even faster to make. "
"Too bland even by doubling the paprika and browning the chicken."