My family loves artichoke spinach dip, so I thought I could turn this popular appetizer into a chicken entree. The sourdough bowl makes a fun presentation. I love that with this recipe I can make one for dinner and wrap one for the freezer!—Merry Graham, Newhall, California
Featured In: 12 Recipes to Make in a Bread Bowl
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 loaves sourdough bread (1 pound each)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. Thaw spinach, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine oil and garlic. Microwave on high 30-45 seconds or until warmed. Cut a thin slice off top of each bread loaf. Hollow out bottoms, leaving 1/2-in.-thick shells (save removed bread for another use). Brush 2 tablespoons oil mixture over outside and inside of bread bowls. Place bread bowls on a baking sheet.
- Strain remaining oil mixture into a large skillet; discard garlic. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan.
- Add chicken to pan; cook and stir over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium. Add artichoke hearts, cream cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, spinach, pepper mixture and reserved spinach liquid; cook and stir until cream cheese is melted. Stir in 1/4 cup crumbled bacon. Remove from heat.
- Divide mixture between bread bowls; top with remaining bacon. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over filling and bowls.
Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; bake 8-12 minutes longer or until filling is heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. To serve, cut each bowl into 4 wedges.
Freeze option: Cool chicken mixture before filling bread bowls. Securely wrap unbaked bowls in foil; place in resealable plastic freezer bags and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap bowls and place on a baking sheet. Cover loosely with foil and bake in a preheated 350° oven 1 hour. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until filling is heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Spinach Dip Bread Bowls in Freezer Meals Bookazine 2013, p66
Reviews for Chicken Spinach Dip Bread Bowls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2015
"Very tasty!!! Better than pizza :)"
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2015
"Great recipe with a nice presentation."