Chicken Spinach Bake Recipe
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 16 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1. Drain and squeeze out excess moisture from spinach. Beat eggs, onion salt and nutmeg. Add spinach and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; mix well. Combine bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; coat with crumb mixture. Place in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Spread 2 tablespoons spinach mixture onto each breast. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture; drizzle with butter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- 2. For sauce, melt 4 tablespoons butter; blend in flour and salt. Stir to form a smooth paste. Add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add cheese and stir until melted. Saute mushrooms in remaining butter. Stir into cheese mixture. Carefully pour sauce over chicken, or pour into a serving bowl and pass. Yield: 16 servings.
1 each: 324 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Spinach Bake
"Love this recipe!"
"Recipe sounded good but there is just my wife and I. I reduced the amounts of everything and it turned out very good. Served with wild rice."
"I love this recipe and it works beautifully as a sit-down meal for a large gathering. I make it just as the directions say - I can't think of any improvements."