Chicken Spinach Bake Recipe
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 16 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1. Drain and squeeze out excess moisture from spinach. Beat eggs, onion salt and nutmeg. Add spinach and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; mix well. Combine bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; coat with crumb mixture. Place in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Spread 2 tablespoons spinach mixture onto each breast. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture; drizzle with butter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- 2. For sauce, melt 4 tablespoons butter; blend in flour and salt. Stir to form a smooth paste. Add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add cheese and stir until melted. Saute mushrooms in remaining butter. Stir into cheese mixture. Carefully pour sauce over chicken, or pour into a serving bowl and pass. Yield: 16 servings.
1 each: 324 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein .
Reviews for Chicken Spinach Bake
"Love this recipe!"
"Recipe sounded good but there is just my wife and I. I reduced the amounts of everything and it turned out very good. Served with wild rice."
"I love this recipe and it works beautifully as a sit-down meal for a large gathering. I make it just as the directions say - I can't think of any improvements."