A good friend shared this recipe with me years ago, and I've used it often. With the creamy sauce and lovely look of this dish, even people who aren't very fond of spinach seem to enjoy it served this way. -Sue Braunschweig, Delafield, Wisconsin
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
- 16 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- Drain and squeeze out excess moisture from spinach. Beat eggs, onion salt and nutmeg. Add spinach and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; mix well. Combine bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper; coat with crumb mixture. Place in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Spread 2 tablespoons spinach mixture onto each breast. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture; drizzle with butter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- For sauce, melt 4 tablespoons butter; blend in flour and salt. Stir to form a smooth paste. Add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add cheese and stir until melted. Saute mushrooms in remaining butter. Stir into cheese mixture. Carefully pour sauce over chicken, or pour into a serving bowl and pass. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Spinach Bake in Taste of Home August/September 1994, p39
Reviews for Chicken Spinach Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review